Kitchen exhaust systems–depending on frequency of use and the type of cooking being done–require regular cleaning to remove grease, dust and other wastes. Combustible grease generates a fire hazard, and since cooking takes place right under the exhaust systems, it’s relatively easy for stovetop fires to spread to grease-clogged ducts. Access panels are critical to get to all the areas of ductwork for proper cleaning.
Nearly 60 percent of all restaurant fires start in the kitchen. Though usually small and resulting in limited damage, restaurant kitchens have all the ingredients for a destructive fire, and restaurants pose a unique risk because of the potential for large numbers of customers at one time.
A clean vent hood and exhaust system can drastically reduce the chances of a fire in your commercial kitchen. Having a dirty hood, filters and grease trap is fuel for an intense fire, which can quickly overcome the fire protection system and lead to disaster.