Why Are Kitchen Exhaust Fan Hinge Kits Important?
Exhaust fan hinge kits make it easy to clean the exhaust fan and eliminate the risk of damage to fan components. In fact, many insurance companies are now requiring hinge kits on fans because it decreases liability.
Having a properly installed hinge is vital to your business and is beneficial for many reasons, including:
- Proper cleaning. In order to thoroughly clean any commercial kitchen exhaust fan, a sturdy hinging system must be installed to safely access all areas.
- Safety. Trying to remove a 125-plus pound fan from its duct for cleaning or maintenance is not only dangerous for the contractor but always causes some degree of damage to the roof or the fan housing.
- To protect the fan wiring. Exhaust fan wiring is stretched when the fan is taken off the stack and placed on the roof. Without a hinge kit, the fan wiring is subject to unnecessary abuse during cleaning and maintenance.
- To protect the exhaust fan. The exhaust fan can be damaged over time by removing it from the stack repeatedly and placing it on its side.
- To prevent bending the fan’s base plate or the duct work. The fan is made of material that is very lightweight and pliable. If it is bent, it could create gaps that allow grease to leak onto the roof.
- To prevent a loose connection between the fan base plate and duct work. If not connected properly, this can cause the fan to rattle and reduce the life of the part.
- To prevent roof damage. Rooftop damage and leaks can be the result of placing the exhaust fan on the roof during cleaning or maintenance.
- It’s the Law! NFPA 96 Code 126.96.36.199 states: “Approved up-blast fans with motors surrounded by the air stream shall be hinged, supplied with flexible weather proof electrical cable and service hold-open retainers, and listed for this use.”
By installing a hinge kit on your exhaust fan to allow proper access to clean your system, you will help prevent damage to the fan and its components, while reducing costly damage to your roof top.